Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Monkey's Valentines Rant

Ladies and gents, I present to you a rant! Yes, I know, here he goes, off on his rocker, but this is just on my mind at the moment, and I just wanna get it off (and also, this is my shot on getting on the Phoenix Publications front page heheh!)

Well, as you may or may not know, tomorrow is St Valentines Day, a day when couples across the land join together in happy bliss, share their love for each other, and show their feelings for each other..... what a load of rubbish! St Valentines Day is yet another useless marketing scam created by those industry bigwigs in the card sector! Ahh, playing on the minds of innocent young lovers, with their red roses, and little cuddly devils, and a delectation of sexual aids for indecent amusement. To many, Valentines Day is to show someone that you really care about someone, or to have an air of mystery and slyly "hit on" the one you like. Little do people know, St Valentine wasn't for that!

Ok, cue a thing I heard on the BBC this mornin! St Valentine is actually buried in Glasgow, yes ladies and gentlemen, yet another superb export from my half home town! However, Valentine wasn't the patron saint of getting jiggy, and luvin! He was a caring and considerate saint, showing everyone his caring side. Now that is what I reckon Valentines Day should be about, caring for everyone in your life. How many times a year do you appreciate what you have? How many times do you really think how lucky you are, and what a great life you lead? Hardly any I think! Ok, this is a very biased view, being a long-term singleton, but I reckon we should use this day for the reason it was intended. There are thousands of people in this world in which we live who have nothing, absolutely nothing. No one to hold at night, no one to speak to, no one to share their inner most fears and desires with.. nothing. We are lucky enough to have people, family who we can lean on, friends who will support us through our darkest days, and in some circumstances, partners who share our every waking breath.

So just have a think this Valentines Day. I know what I will be doing, absolutely nothing! I have no need to celebrate this day, which ok does sound a bit drastic, but I have no one to celebrate it with. But I will be thinking, as I hope you will too, about what makes our lives what they are. Just spare a moment from all your "fun and games", and just think how bloody lucky you are. For 364 days, you can go about your life, caring for your partners, but for 1 day, just think of everyone. And at the end of the day, it's just a marketing scam eh!

The Monkey

Phoenix Publishings Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home